22 December 2013

 

Quote of the Day: Carolyn Hax's Holiday Hootenanny

Advice columnist Carolyn Hax hosts weekly chats, and every year in early December they have a holiday themed chat where people tell holiday horror stories. The following story was submitted this year:


"My mother set herself on fire last Christmas Day. My parents live in an old wooden house, yet insist on having lit candles everywhere. For atmosphere. Christmas morning I pulled up to the house, the first child there, and saw in the yard a broom with burned-off bristles. It was cold, yet the front door wide was open. I walked in, called out 'Merry Christmas!' and there is not a soul to be seen or heard. I pass by the dryer. I see burn marks on the front, knobs melted. Walk by some plants, see leaves burned off. House smells smoky. I find my mother in the living room, dazed yet still filling stockings. She says 'Look what I did,' and shows me burn holes in her pajamas. I also notice a burned-off lock of hair on her collar and ash on her cheek. Turns out she backed into a candle, set herself on fire, then ran through the house yelling for my dad. He finally heard her, and beat the fire out with the broom. I was instructed to not tell the other family members. (I did anyway) Stop, drop, and roll is the new holiday mantra around our place."

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?