19 December 2012

 

Sue Bird at UConn (Again)

Just like last year, Sue Bird is recuperating from hip surgery at UConn.

The Storm website has an interview with her:

Is it good to go through that process in a comfortable place with familiar faces?
It's really helpful. They know me really well. They know how I play. The coaches have been great and helpful, especially Shea Ralph, who works out with me individually pretty much every day. Even when I do practice with the team, they know I'm trying to come back, so they're very caring. It's good to be around that.

How helpful is the opportunity to scrimmage against the UConn team?
It's great, there's no question about that. This is the closest I can come to being in an actual game. There's no other way to emulate it. It's really valuable for me and I'm really lucky that I have this available to be able to practice with them. They're very good. On the flip side, sometimes it makes me feel tired and old because they're in tip-top shape midseason and here I am trying to come back. Sometimes it points out where your deficits are, but that's good because then I know what I need to work on.


The Hartford Courant has an article about her rehabbing at UConn. She also gives her thoughts on Kelly Faris' WNBA potential:

"The WNBA can be a funny league," Bird said. "It can be about finding the right place at the right time. ... But what Kelly brings to the table is something not a lot of people bring. She possesses a lot of intangible things that, frankly, many WNBA teams tend to overlook on an 11-player roster."

"To me, when you get down to the last few roster spots, you want to find someone who can do many things well, as opposed to just one thing. She brings things you need to win basketball games, like hustle plays. And she has worked on her shooting, which potentially could be a make-or-break thing for her. You need to make shots."


The Hartford Courant also posted video of her practicing with the team. (Sorry, can't embed it.)

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?