13 May 2010

 

Newsweek Brouhaha

There's this big brouhaha going on because Newsweek published a piece claiming that gay actors can't convincingly play straight actors.

Lots of people have had much to say on the subject, but I really like Linda Holmes' logical approach to the issue.

My favorite bit, in response to the Newsweek writer claiming that Jonathan Groff on Glee was using scowling as a "substitute" for being straight:

"Do gay men not scowl? If repeated scowling is a problem here because it means he's trying to appear straight, then what accounts for the repeated scowling on almost every other overwrought drama on television? I think under this definition, everyone on Law & Order must be trying to appear straight. There is also a lot of scowling on Lost, come to think of it. I've never thought of it as sexuality-related. Should I?"

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?