27 September 2014

 

Adding "Mr"

From I understood gender discrimination once I added “Mr.” to my resume and landed a job by Kim O’Grady:


"My first name is Kim. Technically, it’s gender neutral, but my experience showed that most people’s default setting in the absence of any other clues is to assume Kim is a woman’s name. And nothing else on my CV identified me as male. At first I thought I was being a little paranoid, but engineering, sales and management were all male-dominated industries. So I pictured all the managers I had over the years and, forming an amalgam of them in my mind, I read through the document as I imagined they would have. It was like being hit on the head with a big sheet of unbreakable glass ceiling."

Labels:


Comments:
Call me skeptical. His tale is a little too pat. Unless I missed it, he didn't say that the companies that ignored his application granted interviews after he added the Mr.
 
While certainly anecdotal, I think four months of no bites at all, followed by immediate job offers from several companies, bears serious consideration.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?