17 August 2014

 

Movie: "Original Sin"




Original Sin is about a man (Antonio Banderas) circa 1900, who brings a bride from Delaware -- that he's never met -- to his home in Cuba. Angelina Jolie plays the bride, in one of her earlier roles.

The movie didn't look as expensive as I would like from a costume drama, and the plot and style of the movie were more noir than Merchant-Ivory. To a certain extent, it felt like the point of the movie was to watch Angelina Jolie have sex with men. Look, it's Angelina Jolie having sex with Antonio Banderas. Look, it's Angelina Jolie having creepy sex with her foster brother (played by Thomas Jane). Look, it's Angelina Jolie getting raped. (Thankfully that last one took place mostly off screen.)

I'm not sure why I even kept watching; I guess I wanted to see what happened. This sort of movie is about plot and atmosphere. The plot was interesting enough, I guess, but the atmosphere tried to be steamy but came off as cheap.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?