11 November 2013

 

Ouch

UConn beat Stanford today, 76-57. Yay, right? And if you read this game summary from the University of Connecticut website, you'd think that the worst thing to happen in the game was Breanna Stewart getting in foul trouble early and not playing a great game.

For some reason, they completely omitted that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis was badly injured early in the second half. She and a Stanford player went up (I think for a rebound), and when she came down she landed badly on her right arm. I thought she landed directly on her elbow, but the announcers later said that she landed on her palm. They replayed it a couple of times, but I couldn't watch. After she fell, she immediately began screaming. Not crying, screaming. After a couple minutes, the trainers were able to get her on her feet and walk her to the locker room, but she never came back. The only update they had by the end of the game was that her arm was very swollen, she was in a lot of pain, and they would re-examine it tomorrow.

The thing about watching college players is that you see them come in as 17 or 18-year-olds, and you watch them grow up. Seeing this strong, tough young woman screaming in agony was just heart-wrenching.

Labels:


Comments:
I chanced upon the game just after she hit the ground. :(

I resisted calling you.
 
I was watching on delay, so it's probably good that you didn't call -- I wouldn't have seen it yet.

What a horrible time for you to tune in, though!

According to the UConn reporter I follow on twiter, KML's mother was in town (from California) for the game, and was with her after the injury. I find that comforting somehow, to know that her mom was there with her.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?