16 October 2013

 

Quote of the Day: The X-Files

From "Humbug" (2.20):


Mulder: Tell me, have you done much circus work in your life?

Mr. Nut: And what makes you think I've ever spectated a circus? Much less been enslaved by one?

Mulder: I know that many of the citizens here are former circus hands, and I just thought that...

Mr. Nut: You thought that because I am a person of short stature, that the only career I could procure for myself would be one confined to the so-called "Big Top". You took one quick look at me, and decided that you could deduce my entire life. Never would it have occurred to you that a person of my height could have possibly obtained a degree in Hotel Management.

Mulder: I'm sorry. I meant no offense.

Mr. Nut: Well then why should I take offense? Just because it's human nature to make instantaneous judgements of others based solely upon their physical appearances? Why I've done the same thing to you, for example. I've taken in your all-American features, your dour demeanor, your unimaginative necktie design, and concluded that you work for the government; an FBI agent... but do you see the tragedy here? I have mistakenly deduced you to a stereotype. A caricature, instead of regarding you as a specific, unique individual.

Mulder: But I am an FBI agent.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?