16 July 2013

 

Quote of the Day: The Bechdel Test

I could have sworn I've posted this before, but it's not showing up when I search.

The Bechdel Test is not a measurement of whether or not a movie is good. Rather, it's a tool to examine gender bias in movies. These are the requirements:

1) It has to have at least two women in it,

2) who talk to each other,

3) about something besides a man.


Quick, name a movie that passes this test! I'm going through my favorite movies in my head and the only one that's coming to mind is Thelma & Louise. Serenity must pass the test. I'm sure it does. Right? The Princess Bride? Nope. Little Miss Sunshine? Maybe...? Star Wars et al? Pretty sure not. The Bourne Trilogy? Ha.

Post in the comments if you can think of any!

Labels:


Comments:
Ok, I took a quick look through my movie collection, and I found some more candidates: The Joy Luck Club, A League of Their Own, and Fried Green Tomatoes.

Plus a couple of movies where the main characters are lesbians (Bound, The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Girls in Love, etc) so they pass pretty easily. ;)

But that's still less than a quarter of the movies I own. Yikes!
 
Ooh! Last movie I watched, The Hunger Games!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?