12 October 2012

 

2004 Championship

According to the Storm website, today marks the eighth anniversary of the Storm winning their first championship.

They posted several fun things, but there are two highlights:

The first is a video of the last few seconds of the game and the post-game celebrations. The "last few seconds of the game" description is a little misleading, though. You don't see the game, you see Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson, waiting on the sidelines for the clock to run out so they can begin celebrating. They're so young! So excited! So adorable!

The second is the audio of Storm radio team calling the last few minutes of the game, followed by the post-game celebration. This had several interesting bits. One is that the announcers were David Locke and Elise Woodward. I have no idea where Locke is now, but I recognize Woodward's name and voice; I think she still does sports radio here in Seattle. Current Storm play-by-play announcer Dick Fain makes a brief cameo -- it seems like he may have been an assistant? (Current Storm color announcer Adia Barnes was down on the court at that time -- she was still a Storm player!) There's lots of other familiar names mentioned, too. I knew who the big players on the Storm were at that time (Tully Bevilaqua, Betty Lennox, etc.), but I was surprised at how many Connecticut players I recognized. Asjha Jones, of course, since she's still on the team. I'd recently heard that (Indiana Fever star) Katie Douglas used to play for Connecticut, but I didn't realize she played for the Sun in 2004. Same with (Minnesota Lynx star) Lindsay Whalen: I knew she used to play for the Sun, but I didn't know she played for them in 2004. (I just looked it up -- 2004 was her rookie season.) Another name I recognized was Nykesha Sales. I only know her as an "old time" UConn player. (I believe she was post-Rebecca Lobo, pre-Sue Bird, i.e. late 90's.) I knew she played in the WNBA for a while, but I didn't know which team(s). Finally, a name that I should have expected, but didn't: Le'Coe Willingham. I knew she played for Connecticut, and I knew she played for Connecticut in the WNBA Finals, but somehow I never put two and two together and realized she played against the Storm in 2004. (Before joining the Storm for the 2010 Championship.)

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?