07 August 2012

 

Game 6: Canada vs. USA

Poor Canada. There are many (women's) team sports where the U.S. and Canada are on equal footing (ice hockey, soccer, etc.). Basketball is not one of them. As Richard Cohen pointed out, Canada came into the game knowing they were going to lose.

The U.S. basically doubled up Canada's score throughout the game. Final score was 91-48.


Today I ran across a couple articles with good Geno Auriemma quotes:

"Someone put shirts in our rooms that said 'Road to Respect'. I thought that was kind of dumb. Sue Bird has won two gold medals, two WNBA championships, a million championships in Europe, world championships for the U.S., and a couple of national championships with Connecticut. If they don't respect her by now, then screw them."

"When you coach the underdog, you always have the back door open. You can always say, ‘We didn’t have enough talent.’ Or ‘We didn’t have tradition.’ Me? I don’t like being the underdog. I like coaching the best team with the best players, and then if we lose, it’s my fault. It’s like playing cards. I don’t want to win on the seventh hand because I get lucky. I want to have four aces right off the bat.”


Next up is Australia. They beat China (although it was close for most of the game). Lauren Jackson has officially scored the most points in Olympic history.


I watched the USA/Canada game online, so I didn't hear the announcers, but I did watch the the final quarter of the Australia/China game on TV. (The fourth quarter was all that they aired.) At the end of the game the announcers (some dude I didn't recognize and the idiotic Carolyn Peck) started talking about how the Americans are "going to have to find a way to deal with" 6'8" Elizabeth Cambage.

...Apparently they've forgotten that Cambage played in the WNBA last year, and therefore EVERY PLAYER ON THE TEAM has played against her. I'm not saying that she isn't talented -- she is -- but Tina Charles, Sylvia Fowles, and Candace Parker have all faced her before. And not just in the WNBA, but during the 2010 World Championships, too! Oy.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?