24 March 2012

 

Quote of the Day: Deadspin

Deadspin had a (long) article about UConn coach Geno Auriemma:


UConn may be the only major college more famous for its women athletes than its men. [Rebecca] Lobo, [Diana] Taurasi, [Maya] Moore. I ask Geno [Auriemma] what it is about UConn girls that makes them want to play for him while others don't. He says, "They understand I'm a warm and sensitive guy." He laughs, but it's true. Geno likes women in a way a lot of men don't. He's empathic, and because he is, he doesn't treat women as if they're fragile flowers for whom the rough verities of life don't apply. Work hard. Don't quit. No excuses. Only a fool or a child believes in perfect justice. Geno respects women as people, which is why he expects hard things from them. "I don't change for the girls," he says. "I don't bullshit them. I tell the truth, 'You do this, you'll be better than you ever thought you could be.'" They believe him. "I'm easy to play for," he says. "Just do everything I tell you."

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?