22 July 2011

 

Jana Vesela

If you clicked the link from my quote-of-the-day, and read the whole article (or scrolled down to the bottom), you would have seen that I submitted a comment about Jana Vesela.

I wrote the comment because, in his discussion about players being waived, he wrote: "In Storm fans’ dreams, the eventual 11th player would be Svetlana Abrosimova, their first guard off the bench last year when they strolled to a championship. Signing Svet later in the season was always an option, and I’m sure Agler would be very open to it, but Svet would have to be interested. As far as I know she’s still resting after her endeavours for Russia in EuroBasket Women, helping them win that tournament and qualify for the Olympics, despite playing most of it out of position at point guard. I’m not sure she’ll fancy dragging herself back out on the floor so soon to help out Seattle."

My comment was: "Re: Storm’s 11th player… I would love to see Svet come back, but assuming she’s not an option, I’m hoping for a return of Jana Vesela. She’s 6’4″, can shoot three-pointers, and by the end of last season she was working well in the system."

He replied (quickly!) but had bad news:

"Vesela’s even less likely, I’m afraid. Svet at least has a long-standing relationship with the US, after college and many years in the WNBA, and reportedly has to spend time there each year to keep her visa valid. I don’t think Vesela was too enthused about spending so much time sitting around on Seattle’s bench, and was pretty definitive about not wanting to play this season in the WNBA, last I heard. 2012 was supposed to be a maybe, but with the Czechs having to play in the pre-Olympic Qualifying Tournament, I wouldn’t expect to see her until after the Games if at all. Shame Jana’s not around, because she would’ve got to play much more this year with LJ out. They could’ve used her size."

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?