21 April 2011

 

Farewell, Jack in the Box

For years, Jack in the Box has been my fast food restaurant-of-choice. Once a month I treat myself to a hamburger and french fries.

Last month they served me cold fries and put cheese (that I didn't ask for) on my Spicy Chicken. I took it back and demanded a refund.

This month I decided to try their new "Americana" burger. I ordered it and my fries and was told my total was $6.02. Then I noticed that the Americana meal was advertised as being $4.99!

When I got to the window, I asked the dude why the meal cost less than the burger and fries. He said that the individual items cost more and there was more tax. (I'm guessing he meant because the subtotal is more?) I asked if I could switch to the meal, and he said yes. When he asked me what drink I wanted, I told him to save the cup -- I didn't want the drink. He said he had to charge me the higher price then.

I left.

I went to Dick's instead. It was ok. I think I'll try Wendy's next month.

I've never before left a drive-through without paying and taking the food I ordered. I feel a little bad about it, but since I never touched the food (he never handed it to me) I'm assuming they can give it to someone else, or even eat it themselves. If I'd saved myself the buck by taking the drink, that definitely would have been wasted, because I just would have thrown it out.

Labels:


Comments:
At McDonald's, it sometimes seems that the "meal" costs more than the sum of the parts. I don't go often enough to be sure...
 
That would actually make more sense to me -- they're making money off of people who can't do math. But why would Jack in the Box want to charge less for more product?
 
The cashier must follow protocol!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?