17 February 2011

 

Random Storm-ness

Abby Bishop has decided not to return to the Storm next season. She says she wants to stay in Australia to prepare for the 2012 Olympics. I would think playing in the WNBA, alongside fellow Australian National Team members Lauren Jackson, Erin Phillips, and Belinda Snell would be good training for the Olympics, but what do I know?

Diana Taurasi has been cleared of the drug charges, but this article caught my eye for a different reason: The picture at the top. In the picture Diana Taurasi is guarding Seattle's Tanisha Wright. Something about the scene looked familiar to me. Specifically, it looked to me to be from that game-winning play in the Western Conference Finals. (The one where Sue Bird hit the three-pointer. Starting at 6:05 in this video.) At first I thought that was just because I've watched that game a lot, but then I looked in the background and saw the Storm's bench players standing, with their arms around each other. I was right!

In the comments on the "Sue Bird is #6" article, someone named "pilight" wrote "Bird is the best PG in WNBA history. She’s not the MVP, she made her teammate the MVP. That’s what a PG is supposed to do." I thought that was a nice description of Sue Bird.

Speaking of that Top 20 list, I decided to figure out how many players each team had on the list. Assuming I'm correct about the Top 5, here's what I came up with (assuming everybody plays for the team they played for in 2010):

Phoenix Mercury = 3 (Dupree, Taurasi, Taylor)
Seattle Storm = 3 (Bird, Cash, Jackson)

Indiana Fever = 2 (Catchings, Douglas)
Minnesota Lynx = 2 (Augustus, Whalen)
Washington Mystics = 2 (Beard, Langhorne)
L.A. Sparks = 2 (Parker, Thompson)
San Antonio Silver Stars = 2 (Hammon, Young)

Atlanta Dream = 1 (McCoughtry)
Chicago Sky = 1 (Fowles)
Connecticut Sun = 1 (Charles)
New York Liberty = 1 (Pondexter)

Tulsa Shock = 0

Labels: ,


Comments:
And now you need to prepare plot with "numberintop20" across the X axis, and "numberofwinsin2010" up the Y axis, to see if there is a correlation.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?