02 January 2011

 

Quote of the Day: John Walters

One of the best things about The Same River Twice is that you get a glimpse of what Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Svetlana Abrosimova, and Diana Taurasi were like when they were younger. Here's a passage about Sue Bird:


Sue Bird, whose oncourt composure is normally beyond reproach, got a technical foul in her first college road game, two years ago at UCLA.

"In the first half I had two fouls and no points," Sue recalled a few weeks ago, "So early in the second half I get another foul called on me. I'm angry at myself, and I utter a profanity. The ref saw me say it. In fact, it was on camera. And you know, in college a technical foul counts as a foul, so I had four fouls and no points. That was pretty much the end of my day."

Sue did learn a lesson, though, and shared it with the team. "Now we talk into our shirts when we're mad," she said. "I'll lift up my jersey as if I'm going to wipe off some sweat, and sometimes I am. But more often I'm letting off steam. And the camera can't read your lips."

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?