04 November 2010

 

Rolling Eyeballs

One of my favorite things about listening to ABBA is that they occasionally (and really, it is pretty rare) mess up their English idioms. Personally, I find it adorable.

Like in the song "Kisses of Fire", they have this line: "Kisses of Fire, burning, burning/I'm at the point of no returning".

Or in the song "When I Kissed the Teacher": "I was in the seventh heaven when I kissed the teacher".

And in "What About Livingstone": "Traveling up the Nile/
Putting themselves on test". (To be fair, this one may be a British English vs. American English thing.)

It's not just ABBA, of course. Shakira (who's from Colombia) has a song called "Whenever, Wherever" that has the line: "We can always play by ear".

And in a recent episode of Project Runway, Heidi Klum (who grew up in Germany) was talking to a contestant. The contestant got a little snippy with her and then turned away. Heidi accusingly said, "Are you rolling eyeballs?"

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
"Point of no returning" is required due to the laws of pop poetry! I wouldn't be surprised if an American pop-song lyricist would do that, too. The other, perhaps, not so much.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?