02 May 2009

 

ORCA Update

So.

I put some money on my card, and my account said it was "pending". I waited the suggested 24 hours, and it was still "pending". I called the ORCA people and, after much discussion and checking of records, the ORCA dude called the Metro people, and told me that because I hadn't used it yet, everything was still pending.

Which makes no sense at all. Any careful person (like, say, me) would make sure my money had cleared before I tried to use my card.

Anyway.

I used it this morning, and it worked fine. The bus driver was quite excited, actually. Apparently I was the first rider he'd had who used the new system.

On the way home, the bus driver had the ORCA box set for the free ride area. When I tapped my card to the box, it said "free ride area, no fare deducted". So I guess the bus drivers aren't used to the new system, either.

But hey, I got a free ride!

Here's the kicker: When I looked at my account tonight, it showed the money I added, minus the $1.75 I used this morning. It also said that my money is still pending.

Huh?

Labels:


Comments:
Wait 24 hours after you first used it? But why? Isn't this a computer thing that should work in seconds? Oh, yeah, there is a government bureaucrat in the loop, who probably won't be at work until Monday.
 
Now it shows that my account is active. (The "pending" part is gone.)

So weird!
 
Why is the ORCA a better system for you? Will it be cheaper than the monthly Metro card?
 
Usually it's cheaper for me (because of my weird bus usage) to pay cash than buy a monthly pass. Paying cash, however, is a ginormous pain. I often have to choose between the convenience of having a pass and saving a few bucks.

With the ORCA, I can use a pass, but save myself the money.

Plus, I can add money to it (or buy a pass to put on it, if that's going to be cheaper) from home, rather than making a special trip to Bartell's to buy a pass (or to the bank to buy change).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?