07 August 2008

 

Miranda Lambert

Last Sunday my dad and I saw Trisha Yearwood in concert. As one would expect, it was a good show, but the funny part came before she started.

We arrived shortly after the opening act had started singing. Based on the singer's voice and general appearance, we both assumed she was Miranda Lambert. Imagine our surprise when, at the end of her act, she said her name was Amy Dalley!

She was great, though. (It looks like she might have a proper album coming out soon-ish. I'll definitely check it out.)

Anyway, it got me thinking about Miranda Lambert. I had enjoyed her first album, Kerosene, but I hadn't yet got around to listening to her second album, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

So, I took a listen. Some good stuff. ("Down" is a particular favorite.) The standout song, I think, is "Gunpowder and Lead". I wish I could find a video for it, but all I've got is lyrics.

Its plot is similar to the Dixie Chick's "Goodbye Earl", but I much prefer "Gunpowder and Lead". Usually I like story songs better (and "Goodbye Earl" is much more of a story song), but in this case I like the music and imagery of "Gunpower and Lead".

An earlier song of Miranda Lambert's, "Kerosene", has a similar theme to Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats". While I like the Carrie Underwood song, I'm not sure I buy her as the badass vindictive girlfriend destroying her cheating boyfriend's property. Miranda Lambert, on the other hand, is pretty believable.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?