29 April 2008

 

Gay Marriage

Same-sex marriage is a very important issue to me. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at debating the issue. I think I have a difficult time because it's all so obvious to me. I've heard the opposing arguments, but they don't make any sense to me. I think you really have to understand both sides to properly debate, and I really don't understand the people who disagree with me.

However, I've given it some thought, and I think I've figured out how to articulate why it's so important to me, and why I think it's right.

Here it goes:


There are two reasons I believe same-sex marriages should be legal.

The first is to give same-sex relationships the same legal rights as heterosexual relationships. This is important for all sorts of legal-type stuff, like power of attorney and parental rights and other legal-y things.

The second is that it would say: A same-sex relationship has as much validity as an opposite-sex relationship. That they have the same worth and importance. That the gay relationship is as real as the straight one.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?