03 January 2007

 

DVD Mania!

I had a list of four movies I wanted to get on DVD. This Christmas I got two gift certificates for Borders. I figured I could use them to buy two of my movies. When I got to Borders, they had big signs in their windows saying "Buy any 3 DVDs and get the 4th one free!" How perfect is that?

Of course, it took me a while to track down all four of them. Little Miss Sunshine just came out, so that was easy enough to find. I found Kinky Boots in the comedy section. Then I got stuck. Saving Face wasn't in the drama section and Strictly Ballroom -- which I wasn't even sure had been released on DVD -- wasn't in comedy or foreign film (Strictly Ballroom is Australian). I looked around for a clerk but didn't find one. I looked around some more and found a "customer use" computer -- which required a password to use. Huh? I kept going and found another computer that was set up properly. It told me to find Saving Face in the foreign film section and that Strictly Ballroom was "on order" and that I should reserve a copy.

I went back and got Saving Face, then I headed to the check-out line. I thought maybe if I pre-paid for Strictly Ballroom, I could still get my free DVD. If not, I would put one back.

When I got to the front of the line, I explained everything to the clerk. She looked up Strictly Ballroom in her computer (which is, apparently, more accurate) and told me they had a copy! She had someone bring it down to us, so I got all four of my movies! Yay!!! And I only had to pay for one of them! Double yay!! Of course, I had to pay for the most expensive one (I still haven't figured out why Kinky Boots was $30) and I got the cheapest one (Strictly Ballroom was $15) free, but still! Yay!

I'm still trying to sort out their organization system, though. I didn't find Strictly Ballroom initially because it never occurred to me to look for it in the drama section. Even more confusingly, Kinky Boots (a British film) and Strictly Ballroom (Australian) were in the comedy and drama sections, respectively. But Saving Face -- an American movie! -- was in the foreign film section. I guess because a lot of it is in Chinese?? But it's set in America! Most of the actors were born in America!

Maybe instead of "foreign films" it should be called "movies with subtitles".

Labels:


Comments:
If you really want to understand their filing system, I suggest you call the store manager and ASK!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?