06 December 2006

 

Quote of the Week

Yesterday my boss and I were talking about clothes. I offhandedly mentioned something about buying clothes in the "fat lady section". My boss said, "You're not fat; you're Rubenesque!"

Her comment got me thinking about the book that made me comfortable calling myself "fat": Camryn Manheim's Wake Up, I'm Fat! In the book she tells this story about auditioning for a role:


I don't know when fat became synonymous with pathetic, sickly, lazy, homely, weak, and stupid, but by the time I hit the audition circuit, these stereotypes were firmly in place. Sometimes I was fat enough to land the role, just not pathetic, sickly, lazy, homely, weak, and stupid enough. And sometimes I wasn't even fat enough. Once I went in on an audition for the part of Susan -- "a grossly overweight woman of 200 pounds." They seemed to be impressed with my audition but in the end said that I was just too thin for the part. I told them that they needed to rethink their description of the character because I weighed well over 200 pounds. They looked at each other incredulously as if they were shocked that I was able to get around without a walker.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Skinny short people do not have a clue how much we weigh. Each inch of height adds at least 5 pounds. Cathryn Mannheim towers over Jennifer Love Hewitt on Ghost Whisperer. As tall as Mannheim is, I suspect she would look emaciated at 170. Soto must weigh about 200, and does he look fat? Not at all.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?