06 September 2006

 

Quote of the Week

This week: Bill Bryson. This quote is from an essay called "At a Loss" that appears in his book I'm a Stranger Here Myself. It's a good book -- thanks for the loan, Mom!


Of all the things I am not very good at, living in the real world is perhaps the most outstanding. I am constantly filled with wonder at the number of things that other people do without any evident difficulty that are pretty much beyond me. I cannot tell you the number of times that I have gone looking for the rest room in a movie theater, for instance, and ended up standing in an alley on the wrong side of a self-locking door. My particular speciality now is returning to hotel desks two or three times a day and asking what my room number is. I am, in short, easily confused.

Labels:


Comments:
The restrooms in restaurants and movie theaters are always in the same place, more or less. There really aren't many options, at least. Occasionally I've walked to the wrong end of a restaurant expecting the restrooms to be near the kitchen when they were in fact closer to the front door, but it's not that hard. Monday, after the kayak trip, we went to a restaurant in Anacortes. We all walked directly under a large arrow sign saying "Restrooms" and then immediately one of my friends asked where the restrooms were. I just pointed at the sign...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?