30 June 2006

 

The B-Word

An Australian newspaper recently published an article on bisexuality.

Interesting stuff, in particular that bisexuals "have less support from family and friends than do gay or straight people".

Some of the interviewed people complain about the label of "bisexual", which I've heard before and disagree with. Even if other people have weird expectations of what a "bisexual" is, I still think it best describes my orientation. The article also spends a lot of time talking to people who don't like labels, which I find annoying. We're humans; it's our nature to label and catergorize. We bi's just need to make other people accept "bisexual" as a category.

Labels:


Comments:
I wonder why some people have such strong opinions about who those around them choose to have intimacy with. To me it's such a private thing.

At the same time, though, I have had trouble accepting a close friend's bisexuality. I think it's because I've known this person most of my life and how could I not have known? But perhaps that says more about me than her, that it doesn't feel like she's being genuine when she talks about being attracted to girls. But then I have other friends who are bi and it seems normal. Hmmm...
 
The article makes a nice distinction between sexual orientation (what you are looking for) and gender (what you are).

The transgendered always confuse me, because their gender is either unacceptable to themselves, in transition, or medically constructed.

I am concluding that bi is not a sexual orientation so much as as a lack of orientation, like a compass near the magnetic north pole. This is not a negative view, since a bi is open to loving anyone, unlike gays or straights who exclude half the population.

We each are more comfortable or less comfortable around people of this or that orientation. As a straight male, I have decided that I like all women, no matter their sexual orientation. I am most uncomfortable around the transgendered (see confusion above), male cross-dressers (also confusing), and flagrant gay men (they fall into the same category as pot-smoking liberal hippies for me). On the other hand, it is reasonable to assume that I have probably met lots of subtly gay men, and never even noticed.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?