31 May 2006

 

Quote of the Week

This week's quote is from P.J. O'Rourke's 1990 essay "Return of the Death of Communism", which is about the Nicaraguan elections:



Like most readers of papers and watchers of newscasts, I thought the Sandinistas were supposed to win this one. I'm a member of the working press; you'd think I'd know know better than to listen to journalists. But there's a little big of the pigeon in every good confidence man. I even believed the February 21st ABC-Washington Post poll that had Ortega leading Chamorro by sixteen percentage points. That is -- I blush to admit this -- I accepted the results of an opinion poll taken in a country where it was illegal to hold certain opinions. You can imagine the poll-taking process: "Hello, Mr. Peasant, I'm an inquisitive and frightening stranger. God knows who I work for. Would you care to obstensibly support the dictatorship which controls every facet of your existence, or shall we put you down as in favor of the UNO opposition and just tear up your ration card right here and now?"

Labels:


Comments:
LOL :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?