27 April 2006

 

Tanning

I've always been a very pale person. To start with, my ancestors come from places like Scotland and Denmark. I burn quite easily, so if I'm out in the sun, I always wear sunscreen. On top of that, I don't particularly like being outside, especially if it's sunny. All this has led to me being one of the white-est white people in the history of white-folk.

When I was in high school, my friends would tease me that my skin was the same color as my white socks! I was a little self-conscious, but never enough to actually, you know, tan. I knew I was more likely to burn than tan, plus I'm not a big fan of skin cancer, plus I saw plenty of girls my age who tanned who were already looking rather wrinkly. But more than anything, I just didn't care that much. I was comfortable with my skin color.

At some point somebody invented fake tan. (When, I have no clue. It wasn't like I was paying attention!) While I get think it's great that it's safer than actually tanning, I still don't understand the appeal.

What's wrong with being your own skin color? I just don't get it.

Comments:
I don't know. Ask Alyssa, she just tried some fake tan with interesting results.
 
Somehow a tan has come to be associated with looking healthy- I guess due to being active outdoors. People with chronic illness are often described as being pale and wan.

I think skin like yours is really exotic and beautiful. It seems so smooth and pure!

You were just born in the wrong era. It wasn't too long ago that a tan meant you were coarse and common and had to labor in the sun.
 
What tofutti said. With all the fake tanning, real tanning, tanning beds, etc. Folk like us are the exotic breed.
'Couse living in Seattle you have an excuse for being pale. Imagine if you lived in the tropics... ;-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?