10 June 2005

 

I'm done!

After two years of ASL classes, followed by two years of interpreter training, I am done!!! FINISH, as we sign in ASL. I can't quite wrap my brain around it, though. Today was the last day of class, and it was one big party. All 30-ish of us graduating had class together every day for two years, so it was really hard to say goodbye. We had four hours of class today, and at the end we were still lingering. I finally left when my ride dragged me out of there. But I cried and cried. It was so bittersweet. Half "Hooray, I'm done!!" and half "I'm going to miss everyone" with a dash of "Omigod, what'll-I-do-now??"

I'm so proud of my friends (and myself) for finishing. Looking back, it amazes me how far we've (I've) come. It was such an amazing experience, both in terms of what I learned and for the friendships I made. I consider all but three of my classmates to be my friends. (And those three are...well...unpleasant.) Some of the people I met are so amazing. One woman is 43. She used to be a drug addict, living on the streets. She got clean, is raising her deadbeat sister's kids, and went back to school. How awesome is that? One of my other classmates is actually my cousin, and it was so wonderful and interesting to get to know her outside of the family. She's six years younger than me, so I always thought of her as a little girl. But now she's this amazing, wonderful, brave, silly, strong, independent, take-charge, creative woman, who happens to be a hell of an interpreter.

I have so many wonderful memories. I think I'm going to look back on these years as some of the happiest and most eventful of my life. I met one of my best friends in the program. I met my roommate in ASL classes. I came out shortly before the second year of the program. I moved, changed jobs, found a career I love, and made a lot friends. I struggled, kept going, and accomplished things I never thought I could do.

And now it's over. I'll keep in touch with a couple of people, but it will never be the same again.

Ok, now I'm crying again....

Comments:
Congratulations!

So, do you know what your next degree is going to be? You're going back to school in the Fall, right? (-;
 
Ha ha ha!!

No.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?