17 May 2005

 

Customer Rules, part 8

Rule #8: If you don't know where it goes, give it to the clerk.

Picture this: A customer comes in and wants to buy a watering can. You take them to the area of the store where the water cans live, but the spot is empty. You go to check the computer to see when you'll be getting your next shipment and -- surprise! -- the computer says you have one in stock. Puzzled, you go back out to the section, and look again. Still no watering can. You apologize to the customer, who leaves watering can-less. A week later, while restocking the Barbie dolls, you find -- ta da! -- the missing watering can. Now, you know the watering can did not get up on its little watering can legs and walk itself over to the Barbie dolls. What happened was that someone thought to themselves, "I think I'll buy a watering can." Later, while perusing the Barbie dolls, they decide, "Nah, I don't think I want a watering can today." Which is fine. Really! Not a problem. If they don't want to buy a watering can, then far be it from me to insist that they purchase one. The problem is that they leave it in the wrong place.

I can understand not wanting to trek all the way back to the watering can section and put it back, or not remembering where you found it, but don't just leave it somewhere random!! Hand it to the first clerk you see, give it to the cashier when you leave, whatever! It's not that much extra work, and it makes everyone's lives easier.

I've never really understood why so many people have a hard time with this. Based on the people who do give me unwanted items, it might be embarrassment, but I've never really understood that, either. If that's what it is, let me assure you, you have nothing to be embarrassed about. I can promise you, from the very bottom of my store-clerk heart, that I will not be insulted if you've changed your mind and decided not to buy that watering can. In fact, I will be grateful that you gave it to me to put away, instead of leaving it with the Barbie dolls. Really! I will not be offended, my feelings will not be hurt, and I won't be annoyed that you're giving me work to do. You're actually helping me -- it's a lot easier for me to put it away than for me to search for it two weeks from now.

And if you're leaving your metaphorical watering can in the Barbie dolls because you're lazy, well... um... yeah. Can't really help you with that one.

Comments:
People who hand them to you are embarrassed. People who leave them in the Barbies just don't care.

I'm afraid you're not going to get many customers to change on this one...
 
Sadly, I'm really expecting anyone to change for any of them.

For the record, not everyone who hands me stuff is embarrassed. Some people are very matter of fact.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?